moyogo's little blog

Blogging about Open Source, fonts, language technology, maps and random stuff happening wherever I am.

2006-05-17

Huge InterWiki dictionary

A few months back Patrick Hall from Blogamundo was wondering if InterWiki links could be use to produce lexicons useful for translation.
WikiWord is it. For those who wonder, InterWiki links are the links made between Wikipedia in different languages. WikiWord can translate, based on those links, but can also display the short introduction of each article as well as related terms. It's really well designed on the backend apparently. The interface needs some work to be used by our usual dude.

1 Comments:

At 17/5/06 10:07 p.m. , Blogger gringo said...

Wow, this is interesting stuff.

I wonder how their similarity metric works... hope the link to the download software works soon.

By the way, I have done some work extracting interwiki links as a sort of a bootstrap lexicon for Blogamundo. It seems pretty useful, so far. Certainly I can't think of another way to acquire so many translated terms between so many language pairs.

After using it for a while, I'm surprised at how often I find myself wanting something that's not a noun, especially if I'm trying to translate a language I don't know terribly well.

Drop me an email if you'd be interested in testing Blogamundo, it's pretty functional now, and I'd be interested to hear what you think.

cheers!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home